Femtosecond cataract surgery is the most advanced procedure available today for performing this operation. The technological advances in the field of ophthalmology do not cease and help us to achieve increasingly better results. To be able to offer the best treatments to the patient we incorporate the most advanced technology.
At Vistalaser Clinics we are committed to cutting-edge technology and our clinics in Malaga and Marbella are the first in the province to perform cataract surgery with the new Ziemer LDV Z8 FEMTO laser. This model is the most advanced in its range and is the result of the experience of more than 2 million treatments carried out. It has unique, high-precision technology with which we achieve exceptional results.
The FEMTO LDV Z8 laser also comes equipped with a high-definition Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) unit. With this unit we can obtain high resolution images of the cornea and crystalline lens, as well as perform surface mapping. During surgery this device identifies the location of the structures of the eye and allows us to position the laser exactly where we have planned. With this tool the operation is much faster and safer as it minimises the margins of error.
Conventional surgery vs laser cataract operation
The progress made by femtolasers in cataract surgery is really interesting. To help you understand it better, we will first explain what conventional surgery is like step by step:
- The surgeon makes an incision in the cornea with the help of a scalpel to access the lens.
- The surgeon, again with the help of the scalpel, makes a circular opening in the lens’ pouch (capsulorhexis) and separates it from this pouch.
- The surgeon, with the help of instruments or by means of ultrasound pulses, fragments the lens (ultrasound phacoemulsification) and sucks it out.
- The surgeon places the new artificial intraocular lens that will act as the lens.
In laser cataract surgery, the computer replaces some of these manual procedures. In other words, steps 1 and 2 are now computer-controlled and performed with the very high precision of the femtosecond laser. The incisions are clean, precise and practically without any margin of error. In step 3 the laser can also help by splitting the cataract. Then, if necessary, it can be further fragmented with ultrasound and finally sucked out.
Benefits of Cataract Operation with Femtosecond Laser
We have been able to deduce some of the advantages of the Cataract Operation with femtosecond laser, below we will see more:
- The margin of human error is reduced, even the best ophthalmic surgeons can make mistakes. With the laser we are less dependent on the pulse or expertise of the surgeon, so we gain in precision and safety.
- With this technology we can focus the intraocular lenses better, so the patient gets the most out of the lens.
- By using the femtolaser to break up the cataract we reduce the time and intensity of phacoemulsification. Reducing the use of ultrasound inside the eye benefits the cornea in the long term.
- With the FEMTO LDV Z8 laser there is hardly any increase in intraocular pressure during surgery. This is especially important in older patients and with high intraocular pressure.
- The femtosecond laser we use in Vistalaser prevents corneal folds in the endothelium.
- We are able to carry out totally personalised treatments for each patient’s cornea and with a high degree of precision.
- Unlike other devices, this FEMTO LDV Z8 laser produces less redness in the eye. This device is better adapted to the patient’s ocular physiology and does not produce conjunctive haemorrhage.
- At the end of the operation we can make additional incisions in the cornea to prevent or reduce astigmatism.
As we can see in the initial image, this is a device with a mobile platform, which allows us to perform the femtosecond cataract operation in our clinics in Malaga, Marbella and Granada. If you are planning to have cataract surgery, you can now make an appointment at your nearest clinic. Our opticians and ophthalmologists will carry out preoperative tests and answer all your questions.